Science Learning Center Coordinator - Half-time
$1,699 – $2,667 • monthly
California State University, Long Beach
Science Learning Center Coordinator - Half-time
Job No: 528020
Work Type: Staff
Location: Long Beach
Categories: Unit 9 - CSUEU - Technical Support Services, Administrative, Temporary, Part Time
The Science Learning Center Coordinator will work closely with Science Education faculty and volunteers to support ongoing activities of the Science Learning Center (Center) in the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics. The Center provides a unique informal science learning and teaching environment (as well as a critical outreach arm for the College) that aims to support the development of science educators as well as strengthen science literacy for the campus and local community.
- Coordinates operations of the Science Learning Center.
- Teaches and facilitates learning activities for K-8 students in areas of physical, life, and earth sciences.
- Recruits, trains, and supervises 5-10 student volunteers in conference with the Center Director.
- Materials management for activities conducted in the center.
- Familiarity with common computer software including MS Office programs, Google Docs/Sheets/Forms (and similar cloud-based productivity programs), Zoom, and other office-related and cloud-based computing.
- Basic understanding and awareness of recent reform efforts in Science Education (e.g. NGSS).
- Strong interpersonal skills (including verbal and written communication) as needed to work with faculty, volunteers, teachers, and other stakeholders.
- Good organization skills, flexibility, able to set priorities, ability to use discretion and work independently.
Ability to communicate with an ethnically and culturally diverse campus community. Ability to follow all university policies, procedures, and guidelines including but not limited to safety, civility, information security, and non-discrimination policies and procedures. Ability to contribute to a positive university experience for each and every student, and assist in achieving the university's commitment to a "vision of excellence."
Education and Experience
- Equivalent to one (1) year of experience performing support services for an instructional program and involving such activities as preparing, producing, dispensing, or storing materials, supplies, and equipment required.
- Bachelor's degree in science, education, museum studies or related field preferred; if individual is not a science major, coursework and/or experience equivalent to a minor in science preferred.
- At least one (1) year experience as an educator in an informal learning setting (e.g. museum, zoo, aquarium, afterschool program, etc) preferred.
- LiveScan Required.
- Light work - Job involves some lifting of medium weight objects (10-20 pounds) and/or 10% - 20% of the job involves standing or walking.
A valid driver's license is required for this position. Once hired the employee must successfully complete the Defensive Driver Training Program provided by the State of California for California State University campuses.
Instructional Support Assistant II
Salary placement is determined by the education, experience, and qualifications the candidate brings to the position, internal equity, and the hiring department's fiscal resources.
Hiring Range: $1,699 - $1,941 per month commensurate with candidate's education, experience, skills, and training.
CSU Classification Salary Range: $1,699 - $2,667 per month.
Excellent benefits through CalPERS (health, vision, dental), tuition fee waiver, generous vacation and sick leave, and 14 paid holidays each year.
Half-time, 0.5 FTE, 20 hours per week.
Duration of Appointment
This is a temporary position for two (2) years with no permanent status granted. Temporary assignments may expire prior to the ending date.
Click Apply Now to complete the CSULB Online Employment Application.
PLEASE FILL OUT THE APPLICATION COMPLETELY. It is important that all sections of the on-line application are filled out completely and accurately. Please include all relevant education and experience. Your application will be used to determine whether you meet the minimum qualifications for this position.
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
CSULB is not a sponsoring agency for staff and management positions (i.e. H-1B Visas).
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily and is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
California State University Long Beach expects respectful, professional behavior from its employees in all situations. Acts of harassment or abusive conduct are prohibited. Demonstrated appropriate professional behavior, treating others with civility and respect, and refusing to tolerate abusive conduct is expected of all employees.
Equal Employment Statement
California State University Long Beach is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer that is strongly committed to promoting diversity in all areas of the campus community. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, physical or mental disability, gender or sex, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, nationality, race or ethnicity, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, and veteran or military status.
We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should contact StaffHR-Accommodations@csulb.edu.
Out of State Employment Policy
California State University, Long Beach, as part of the CSU system, is a State of California Employer. As such, the University requires all employees upon date of hire to reside in the State of California.
As of January 1, 2022 the CSU Out-of-State Employment Policy prohibits the hiring of employees to perform CSU-related work outside the state of California.
Application Closes: Jun 05, 2023 (11:55 PM)
To apply, visit https://careers.pageuppeople.com/873/lb/en-us/job/528020/science-learning-center-coordinator-halftime
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-817f5bba4f2be444a2e6c19e1a26ee3c