- Promotes university culture and mission throughout the athletic department and general campus.
- Fosters and leads a culture of the utmost integrity.
- Leads efforts to integrate athletics with the rest of the university.
- Engages effectively with student-athletes, administrative staff, coaches, faculty members, the Board of Trustees, alumni, and the entire Northwestern community.
- Participates at key events on behalf of university athletics and serve as a key public representative of Northwestern.
- Serves as a thought leader at the university, Big Ten, and NCAA level.
Management of Athletics and Recreation
- Responsible for the hiring and retention of executive staff, head coaches, and staff. Leads performance reviews for all members of the Athletics department.
- Leads all major business aspects of the department including budget and finance, capital projects, marketing, sales, and operations.
- Provides leadership for department fundraising, plans strategy for the solicitation of major gifts, and engages and interacts with alumni.
- Ensures compliance with university, Big Ten, NCAA, and Title IX rules and regulations.
- Oversees the day-to-day operations of the department including, but not limited to, game day operations, promotional/media efforts, and the scheduling for all sports.
- Oversees the recreation department and promotes competition and recreational activities for approximately 8,000 students as well as faculty, staff, and community members.
- Provides oversight to all 19 varsity sports within the athletic department, and is actively involved in the day-to-day leadership of the coaching staff and student-athletes.
- Oversees student-athletes and their performance on and off the field. Continues a culture of academic excellence and coordinates with academic support staff to foster success and exceptional graduation rates.
- Responsible for student-athlete services to ensure proper academic support, mental and physical care, facilities, and equipment.
- Advocates for the physical, mental, social, and academic well-being of student-athletes.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Leads diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts for the department.
- Demonstrates commitment to social justice principles and actions.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Relevant and transferrable experience at the Division I level.
- Legal knowledge of university, Big Ten, and NCAA rules and policies.
- Experience collaborating with key stakeholders, both internally and externally.
- Understanding of media rights, sales, and marketing.
- Demonstrated understanding of the academic requirements of the university and commitment to student success and welfare.
- Demonstrated experience managing all sports within an athletic department.
- Experience leading large teams and managing administrative staff.
- Success in the hiring and retention of key staff.
- Promoter of a positive culture and working environment for all coaches, staff, and student-athletes.
- Experience with crisis management and leadership.
- Ability to perform any physical requirements of the job.
- Master’s degree or other post-graduate degree.
- Relevant experience at a similar institution (private, highly selective university in a Power Five conference).
- Familiarity with a competitive urban media market.
PERSONAL / PROFESSIONAL ATTRIBUTES
- Unimpeachable integrity and moral standards.
- Outstanding work ethic.
- Exceptional interpersonal and relationship-building skills.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Strong fundraising experience and financial prowess.
- Robust public speaking experience.
NOMINATION AND APPLICATION PROCESS
Applications and nominations are now being accepted. For best consideration, please submit application materials as soon as possible. DHR International is assisting Northwestern University in this search. Initial screening of the applications and nominations will continue until an appointment is made. Individuals who wish to nominate a candidate should submit a brief letter of nomination including contact information for the nominee. Application materials should include a letter addressing how your experiences match the position requirements and a curriculum vitae or resume. Submission of documents as PDF attachments is strongly encouraged.
Inquiries, nominations, and application materials should be directed to DHR International via the email below: Northwestern.AD@dhrinternational.com