JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for all aspects in leading competitive NAIA cheerleading and competitive dance programs. Provide the necessary leadership to plan, organize and to carry out the objectives of the university athletic programs.
JOB DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and execute recruitment and retention of quality student athletes including but not limited to: off-campus evaluation, contacts, organization of on-campus visits, and tryouts.
- Build and sustain positive relationships with student-athletes, former players, faculty, alumni, staff, media, boosters, and the community.
- Demonstrate knowledge and ability to implement effective coaching theory, strategies, and techniques appropriate for college athletes.
- Work effectively with student athletes of varying abilities, socio-economic, and cultural backgrounds to instill commitment, discipline, and teamwork.
- Responsible for inventory, selection and care of equipment and proper care of the school facilities.
- Manage the team budget and put together a competitive schedule in line with that budget.
- Communicate effectively with team members, recruits, university organization, coaching staff, and administration.
- Emphasize academic success and service to all team members.
- Advise and instruct student-athletes on skill development to compete at the NAIA level.
- Scouting of opponents and instructing team on the strategies to be implemented in the program.
- Commit to all NAIA, Sooner Athletic Conference, and Oklahoma Panhandle State University Athletics Department policies and procedures.
- Advise student-athletes in their day-to-day activities
- Maintain a good working relationship with all athletic coaches and staff regarding facility use and condition.
- Maintain quota numbers.
- Managing and organizing pep rallies, mascots, spirit rider and any other spirit related activity.
- Coordinating with the band and other school groups for game-day activities.
- Responsible for team fund raising activities.
- Strong organizational, management, and interpersonal skills are necessary.
- Strong communication skills demonstrating the candidate to be a positive motivator.
- Ability to communicate in a courteous manner.
- Excellent written/oral communication, as well as demonstrate strong organizational skills.
- Must have a strong work ethic and lead by example.
- Must be a professional, credible and respected representative of the institution internally and in the community
- Demonstrated willingness and ability to act ethically and socially responsible
- Must be able to lift more than 50-lb. objects; frequent bending, stooping, and walking.
- Ability to work various hours, including nights and weekends throughout the year for practice, games and recruiting.
- Be able to transport team to the contests, and be responsible for their wellbeing.
- Can be exposed to a variety of weather conditions for periods of time.
- Other duties as assigned by Athletic Director or designee.
The omission of specific statement of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree required; master's degree preferred.
- Valid driver's license required.
- Previous successful coaching experience and/or playing experience and recruiting at the collegiate level.
- Must demonstrate significant knowledge of cheer and dance, proven success in coaching cheer and dance at the collegiate or high school level, the ability to recruit, develop and motivate NAIA student-athletes.
TO APPLY, COMPLETE THE ONLINE APPLICATION,
OPSU is an AA/EE/E-Verify employer committed to diversity.