Position Title Assistant Professor of Mass Communication (Visual Effects and Virtual Cinema Production) at Sam Houston State University in Huntsville Texas
FLSA status Exempt
Hiring Salary Commensurate with education and experience.
College College of Arts & Media
Department Dept of Mass Communication
Duties Performed in the Usual Course of the Job
- an active creative practice (demonstrated by professional credits or peer-reviewed exhibitions and screenings of works)
- extensive experience in visual effects integration with live action
- Interest in exploring the potential of game engine – assisted virtual cinema production (Unreal Engine, Unity Framework, etc.)
- extensive experience with Adobe Creative Cloud Applications
- extensive experience in film/video image capture/manipulation
- extensive experience in digital media workflows; an interest in teaching courses in the following areas: Motion Graphics, Visual Effects, Visual Effects Integration with Live Action, Live-Action Performance with Game Engine Virtual Backgrounds and Environments, Multimedia Production, Video Production, Interactive Digital Media, CGI, Green Screen, Immersive Environments, Visual Effects Foundations, and Emerging Media
- desire and ability to take on significant mentorship roles (graduate thesis project advising, independent study project advising, etc.)
- desire and ability to take on significant roles in helping build a creative community (mentoring, helping organize student film festivals, advising with official student media channels, advising student organizations, etc.)
- desire and ability to take on significant roles in curriculum development at the undergraduate and graduate level
- desire and ability to take on significant roles of service and leadership
- desire and ability to author and deliver courses online
- desire and ability to work successfully with students of diverse backgrounds
Educational Requirements for the Position
The candidate must have an M.F.A. in Film Production or related field, or a Ph.D. in a related field in hand by start date, (or equivalent industry experience).
Experience Required for the Position
The candidate must have a record of excellence in visual effects (vfx)- related creative activities and accomplishments, experience in exploring new technologies in cinema production such as Unreal Engine – assisted Virtual Cinema Production, virtual reality (VR) or Augmented Reality (AR) – related work, a record of excellence in teaching at the undergraduate and graduate level; and a record of excellence in online pedagogy.
Full-Time Tenure Track
To apply please visit https://shsu.peopleadmin.com/postings/32952
Sam Houston State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and Smoke/Drug-Free Workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, ancestry, marital status, citizenship, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, or gender identity or expression. Sam Houston State University is an “at will” employer. Employees with a contract will have additional terms and conditions. Security sensitive positions at SHSU require background checks in accordance with Education Code § 51.215.