Woodbury University invites applications for a full-time Participating Faculty to join the Game Art & Design Program in our School of Media, Culture, & Design (MCD). The following position has an expected start date of August 16, 2021. Woodbury University makes appointments in anticipation of its enrollment needs.
This position qualifies University sponsored employee benefit plans and programs (e.g., group health insurance, life insurance, tax deferred annuity plan, sick, and paid holidays), subject to the eligibility requirements and conditions of each plan and program.
Information on the program can be found at the links below:
The successful candidate will cover the full range of duties associated with teaching, including, but not limited to:
- Preparing course material
- Creating and posting course syllabi
- Presenting material during the assigned course times
- Holding office hours and providing appropriate out-of-class time for students
- Responding to student e-mails
- Conducting and grading assessments of students through assignments, exams, and other means, in a timely manner
- Submitting final grades
- Course appointments may require instruction during the day, on evenings, on weekends, or online.
- Faculty are also active participants in student advising, curricular development, assessment of learning outcomes, identifying internship opportunities, promoting the department, and student recruitment activities.
- Responsibilities may include involvement in off-campus activities and occasional evening or weekend duties. A teaching load of 36 instructional units throughout the academic year is required.
- Ability to teach at multiple levels in game design including current industry software, rapid prototyping, level design, user interface design, experimental technology, 3D modeling, coding, and sound design.
- Minimum 3 years teaching experience required.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required. A terminal degree is preferred (an MFA in design or related discipline)
- Able to provide critical, informed, and creative feedback to students.
- Experience managing class rosters, attendance, timely grading of assignments.
- Preference will be given to candidates with an existing record of professional experience in game design and with a strong knowledge of current and future tools and technology. Our school emphasizes collaboration both within individual departments and in conjunction with other academic departments in the school.
- The ideal candidate will have produced a strong body of work that reflects a high degree of knowledge, and a portfolio that demonstrates competency in multiple areas of the game design field.
APPLICATION: Applications are due July 16, 2021. Submissions must include:
- A letter of application outlining experience in teaching, professional pursuits, and creative/research interests
- A Curriculum Vitae
- Two professional letters of recommendation
All application materials must be submitted through the Woodbury University Job Board. Email applications and submissions on third party platforms will not be considered.
About Woodbury University
Woodbury University is accredited by WASC Senior College and University Commission, and the National Association of Schools of Art & Design, NASAD. Woodbury University is a small, private, nonprofit university in Los Angeles. It was founded as Woodbury Business College in 1884 in downtown LA by educator and entrepreneur F. C. Woodbury. One of the first co-educational colleges in the West, Woodbury’s first class of students was roughly 50% male and 50% female. This commitment to diversity has remained one of Woodbury’s core principles. In 1937, Woodbury College moved to a new facility on Wilshire Blvd. New academic programs in design, architecture, liberal arts, and media were added to the curriculum as the school evolved, and Woodbury College became Woodbury University in 1974. In 1987, the University moved to its present home, a 22-acre campus in Northern Los Angeles straddling the boundary with the city of Burbank, on the site of a former convent. Woodbury University is now made up of four schools: The School of Business, School of Architecture, School of Media, Culture & Design, and the College of Liberal Arts. Woodbury University is a student-centered institution dedicated to transforming and preparing students for successful careers in the twenty-first century.
Woodbury University is dedicated to celebrating diversity and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Woodbury University is an EEO/AA institution committed to multicultural diversity in its peoples and programs. All employment decisions for all job classifications will be made on the basis of such factors as education, character, ability, skill and training, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political orientation, disability, veteran status, marital status, parental status, genetic information, membership or non-membership in any lawful organization, or any other protected status.