Assistant Teaching Professor of Graphic Design
Ball State University
School of Art
Assistant Teaching Professor of Graphic Design
Ball State University
The School of Art invites applications for a non-tenure‐track Assistant Teaching Professor position in Graphic Design beginning in August 2023.
The College of Fine Arts empowers our community to be creative thinkers, citizens, and problem solvers. Students experience a distinctive education with nationally recognized faculty members and staff, high-profile alumni, and curricula and programming that focuses on collaboration, empathy, inclusion and hard work. We prepare them for many futures and multiple career paths in, around, and beyond the arts.
The School of Art at Ball State includes exceptional facilities and faculty. Our art-making facilities are competitive with the best in the country, and our faculty and staff are active nationally and internationally as artists, creators, scholars and designers.
Our dynamic faculty function as collaborative, innovative, inclusive, and adaptive members of the College of Fine Arts community, both within and beyond the home unit, serving as quality teachers, productive in creative and/or scholarly work, engaged in public service activities, and contributing to the Ball State and Muncie communities and beyond. Additionally, lifelong learning at Ball State University extends educational engagement beyond the classroom and includes learning for professional development, personal enrichment, or other goals throughout one’s lifetime. Faculty will be expected to participate in the departments, colleges, and university’s lifelong learning opportunities when available and may be assigned teaching responsibility in this area as part of their overall responsibilities.
At Ball State University, Inclusiveness and freedom of expression are a part of our enduring values and inform all of our efforts. We encourage applicants to familiarize themselves with our Inclusive Excellence Plan to learn more about our commitment and to identify how you might contribute to these efforts.
Position Function: Teach undergraduate BFA Visual Communication/Graphic Design courses; engage in professional practice and activities related to the discipline; contribute to curriculum development.
- MFA degree from an accredited institution in graphic design, visual communication or related area, with an interactive design emphasis OR: Equivalent professional experience of a minimum of ten (10) years of relevant experience working in the design industry.
- Apple platform expertise as evidenced by portfolio samples of professional work.
- Evidence of appropriate professional and/or creative activity in design as demonstrated by portfolio samples of professional work.
- Understanding of design history and methodology, conceptual approaches as evidenced in teaching philosophy and artist’s statement.
Candidates for searches must have current authorization to be employed in the U.S. without employer sponsorship.
- Documented teaching experience at the college or university level beyond graduate assistantship.
- Broad knowledge of contemporary issues in visual culture with the capacity for forward thinking about the role of graphic design in the 21st century.
- Expertise with current Adobe Creative Suite, strong skills in typography, brand/identity, web design, UI/UX/Interactive, and Motion Graphics.
- Web design skills and familiarity with various relevant web languages.
- Evidence of working successfully in a collaborative team approach to teaching.
- A strong research practice that engages new schools of thought that intersect with traditional graphic design.
Apply online at: https://bsu.peopleadmin.com/postings/35833
Pay range minimum for this position: $50,000
Required Applicant Documents:
- Cover letter
- Curriculum vitae
- Portfolio of 20 images of applicant’s work (saved as a single .pdf with links to time-based work samples), 20 images of student design projects (saved as a single .pdf). If document size exceeds 10 MB, a link to portfolio may be provided
- URL of Applicant’s portfolio website under the “Other” document in the Applicant Documents section
- List of courses taught
- Artist’s statement
- Teaching Philosophy Statement
- Diversity and Inclusion Statement
- Contact information with email addresses for three professional references is required in the application.
The option to upload transcripts is available. Original, official transcripts showing the highest related degree earner is required at the time of hire (even if obtained at BSU). Degree verification will be conducted.
Review of applications will begin immediately and in to ensure full consideration, applications must be received by March 15, 2023.
Ball State University is located in Muncie, Indiana, on an attractive campus 45 miles northeast of Indianapolis. Approximately 22,000 graduate and undergraduate students enroll in one of eight academic colleges that offer 120 undergraduate programs. We offer more than 140 master’s, doctoral, certificate, and specialist degrees, with many of them ranking among the best in the nation. Ball State aspires to be the model of the most student-centered and community-engaged of the 21st century public research universities, transforming entrepreneurial learners into impactful leaders – committed to improving the quality of life for all.
The Ball State way is rooted in the Beneficence Pledge – a commitment to excellence in teaching and scholarship, honesty and integrity, social responsibility, gratitude and valuing the intrinsic worth of each member of our community. Ball State students, faculty and staff are empowered in a culture that believes in them and demands they believe in themselves. They are partners in an innovative, immersive approach to education. They are supported by living and learning facilities that enable intellectual curiosity. We graduate scholars who are changing the world, and we’ve dedicated our University to do the same.
The university offers an excellent wellness program and extensive benefits offerings to include a generous paid time off package and paid parental leave. For further information regarding benefits please visit: https://cms.bsu.edu/About/AdministrativeOffices/HumanResources/Jobs/Benefits-and-Community/Faculty
Ball State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that is strongly and actively committed to diversity within its community. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status.