Ball State University’s College of Communication, Information, and Media (CCIM) is looking to hire an Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and Student Relations. The individual in this position will inspire innovation and provide a critical role in supporting and providing managerial oversight for academic programs, faculty development, and ensuring positive student relations in the college. The Associate Dean will work collaboratively with CCIM units and may serve as acting Dean in the Dean’s absence. The Associate Dean contributes directly to the academic success and effectiveness of CCIM, its faculty and students. Term of appointment is three to five years negotiable, renewable. Service in this position will contribute to the development of leaders for the College and University at a time of innovation and growth in the college including:
- CCIM’s launch of the BSU Esports program, which includes the Esports Production concentration and the official Ball State varsity esports team, all housed within the state-of-the-art Esports Center https://blogs.bsu.edu/ccim/2021/04/15/ball-state-university-opens-state-of-the-art-esports-center/
- Curriculum updates so that students can learn to fly drones, manage media technology, cybersecurity for information systems and engage in intergroup dialogue to bring people together.
- A reformulated Ball State Public Media that now resides in CCIM and the addition of a new Assistant Dean of Media and General Manager of BSU Public Media. Public Media, our educational programs and numerous student media and clubs ensure a meaningful educational experience through unparalleled immersive learning opportunities while we meet local informational, entertainment and storytelling needs.
- The inclusion of Computer Information and Technology as part of the top ranked Center for Information and Communication Sciences.
- New faculty specialties in the Department of Communication Studies and continued top awards for our Forensics teams.
- The Department of Journalism has been renamed the School of Journalism and Strategic Communication. Consistent with an ever-changing, dynamic media landscape, the School of Journalism and Strategic Communication gives students an opportunity to learn every side of the media business while also providing them high-demand skillsets for employers across the marketplace.
- The Department of Telecommunications has been renamed the Department of Media. Students in the Department of Media are empowered to craft compelling stories by taking advantage of best-in-class facilities, which are available immediately in their education career. In those facilities, students learn to investigate, research, and study issues related to new forms of digital media.
- A multi-figure gift from a major corporate partner including educational collaborations, equipment, scholarships and a new Director of Strategic Partnerships (details forthcoming in December, 2021).
If you have the ability to use discretion and independent judgement in performing duties, the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with individuals and groups, a demonstrated commitment to inclusive excellence and collaboration and a high-level of tolerance for ambiguity and ability to execute this could be an outstanding opportunity for you and for us in CCIM.
At Ball State University, Inclusiveness and freedom of expression are a part of our enduring values and inform all of our efforts. We encourage applicants to familiarize themselves with our Inclusive Excellence Plan to learn more about our commitment and to identify how you might contribute to these efforts.
Minimum Qualifications: Terminal degree from an accredited institution or equivalent. Eligible for appointment or holding rank of Associate Professor with Tenure, 5 years of progressive administrative experience in higher education or other leadership roles.
Employer will consider sponsorship.
Preferred Qualifications: Terminal degree in relevant discipline from an accredited institution. Eligible for appointment or holding rank of Professor with Tenure, experience in curriculum development/review, faculty development, and student advising and relations. The ability to use discretion and independent judgement in performing duties as well as the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with individuals and groups. The ability to prioritize your own workload is necessary, as is the ability to work independently, meet deadlines, and manage multiple tasks in high-volume situations. A demonstrated commitment to inclusive excellence and collaboration. High-level decision-making abilities and discernment to proactively act on behalf of Dean. Superior writing and communication skills are essential. High-level of tolerance for ambiguity and ability to execute.
Apply online at: https://bsu.peopleadmin.com/postings/27949. Include the following documents with your application: resume and cover letter addressed to Dean Paaige Turner. In the Applicant Documents section of this application, please provide an inclusive excellence statement describing how you would contribute to the development of a diverse and inclusive learning community at Ball State University through your teaching, research, and/or service. Please include examples of your contributions when possible. Word limit 500. The option to upload transcripts is available. Original, official transcripts showing the highest related degree earned is required at the time of hire (even if obtained at BSU). Degree verification will be conducted. References will be required following phone interviews.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will be accepted through January 3, 2022.
Ball State University is located in Muncie, Indiana, on an attractive campus 45 miles northeast of Indianapolis. Approximately 22,000 graduate and undergraduate students enroll in one of eight academic colleges that offer 120 undergraduate programs. We offer more than 140 master’s, doctoral, certificate, and specialist degrees, with many of them ranking among the best in the nation. We engage students in educational, research, and creative endeavors that empower our graduates to have fulfilling careers and meaningful lives enriched by lifelong learning and service, while we enhance the economic, environmental, and social vitality of our community, our state, and our world.
The Ball State way is rooted in the Beneficence Pledge – a commitment to excellence in teaching and scholarship, honesty and integrity, social responsibility, gratitude and valuing the intrinsic worth of each member of our community. Ball State students, faculty and staff are empowered in a culture that believes in them and demands they believe in themselves. They are partners in an innovative, immersive approach to education. They are supported by living and learning facilities that enable intellectual curiosity. We graduate scholars who are changing the world, and we’ve dedicated our University to do the same.
The university offers an excellent wellness program and extensive benefits offerings to include a generous paid time off package and paid parental leave. For further information regarding benefits please visit:
Ball State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that is strongly and actively committed to diversity within its community. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status.