Associate Director of Student Engagement
Iowa Wesleyan University
Iowa Wesleyan University is seeking candidates to fill the position of Associate Director of Student Engagement. This is a high energy, generalist role, ideal for self-starting professionals who wish to experience a broad spectrum of responsibility at the entry level of student affairs work in a small, private institution. The Associate Director of Student Engagement reports to the Vice President for Student Development for coordination of campus programming and group advising of Student Government, Greek Life, clubs, and organizations. The Associate Director works with the Student Development Team to coordinate large activities such as New Student Orientation and Homecoming activities for campus.
The Associate Director of Student Engagement is a full-time, position that includes the opportunity to participate in the university’s full benefits package that includes generous PTO and employee paid holidays offerings.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Hire, train and lead Student Engagement Graduate Assistant and work-study staff.
- Manage relevant budgets.
- Negotiate contracts to schedule and book performers for campus events.
- Establish working relationships with athletics, food services, physical plant, and faculty.
- Serve on institutional and student development committees, as assigned.
- Work with Southeastern Community College to support SIHEA related events between the two institutions.
- Completing special projects (Student Organization Handbook, Organization Bi-Laws, etc.)
- Initiate, deliver, and participate in departmental, institutional, and personal professional development activities.
Student Activities and Campus Programming
- Provide leadership, support, and coordination to help ensure a diverse range of student and campus activities.
- Develop programs to encourage commuter and residential student involvement and participation in campus life.
- Work with other departments to maintain a calendar of student activities.
- Coordinate Welcome Week and Welcome Back Week Activities
- Execute the Involvement Fair in the fall and the Student Leadership Awards in the spring.
- Oversee events planned by the Campus Activity Board
- Serve as a resource to student’s groups and residence life staff for programming ideas.
- Manage the Student Development social media accounts.
- Over Student Leadership Micro Badge program
- Schedule and oversee intramural activities.
New Student Orientation
- Recruit, select and train student orientation leaders.
- Plan and implement new student orientation in conjunction with the Vice President for Student Development and the Student Development Team.
- Coordinate student orientation leaders for Summer Registration Days, as requested by the Office of Admissions.
- Advise the Student Government Association (SGA), Campus Activity Board (C.A.B.), Homecoming Committee, Food Committee, Greek Life, and other student groups, as assigned.
- Responsible for tracking participation in student organizations and inputting into CAMS.
- Work with SGA to coordinate the recognition of student organizations and provide support for student groups and advisors, as well as student elections.
This position may also perform other duties as assigned by supervisor or designee.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- Bachelor’s degree in a field relevant or related program of study.
- Master’s degree preferred in higher education or related field or master’s degree in process.
- 1-2 years of experience working in a higher education setting or similar role outside of higher education preferred.
- Preferred experience in areas of Student Activities, Club/Organizations, New Student Orientation, Intramurals, or college student programming.
- Adaptable to change
- Computer skills
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Excellent customer, telephone, and interpersonal skills
- Strong verbal and written communication, customer service, computer and inter-personal
- Possess the ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously in a face-pasted environment with attention to detail
- Team player with a cooperative approach to colleagues.
- Valid driver’s license with the ability to be authorized to drive university fleet vehicles
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends as required
Review of resumes will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates must upload their letter of interest, resume/CV, and contact information for three professional references at https://www.iw.edu/careers.
No phone calls please, candidates will be contacted if search committee is in need of further information. Iowa Wesleyan University is an equal opportunity employer.
Iowa Wesleyan University is located in the southeastern Iowa town of Mount Pleasant and is one of the oldest four-year, higher education Institutions West of the Mississippi River. We are a transformational learning community whose passion is to educate, empower, and inspire students to lead meaningful lives and careers.
Iowa Wesleyan University offers academic programs with a strong liberal arts foundation together with career focused majors. Iowa Wesleyan includes undergraduate, graduate, and online learning. Service-learning is integrated into the curriculum, ensuring that all students connect classroom learning with service to others.Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer
Iowa Wesleyan University is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. No person may be unlawfully discriminated against in employment because of race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran status, creed, national origin, age, disability, genetics, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. All aspects of the employment relationship are covered by this policy, and all employees and applicants are protected from unlawful discrimination in recruiting, hiring, placement, training, evaluation, job assignment, pay, benefits, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation, or discharge. Any form of discrimination or retaliation is not allowed.
Iowa Wesleyan University expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran status, creed, national origin, age, disability, genetics, or any other protected status.