- Teaching undergraduate courses at all levels of the Interior Design program.
- Overseeing the program accreditation processes and reviews and contributing to ongoing program evaluation and improvement.
- In collaboration with faculty and leadership, oversee the recruitment and retention process.
- Ensure that the vision and program direction are aligned with the mission of the Department and contribute to program assessment efforts.
- Oversee curriculum development, review, and update the undergraduate course catalog annually.
- Coordinate course offerings, scheduling, and faculty teaching assignments in collaboration with department leadership.
- Mentoring design students
- Maintaining and overseeing design labs and equipment.
- The successful candidate will be responsible for fostering and maintaining industry relationships and bi-annual advisory board meetings to help students with networking, and internships, and to stay ahead of current industry and workforce trends in design.
- Maintaining scholarly/creative activities in interior design or related fields of study.
- Providing program, department, college, university, and professional service.
Educational Requirements for the Position
Applicants must have a Master’s degree or Ph.D. in Interior Design or a closely related field (Architecture, Interior Architecture, Environmental Design). The undergraduate degree must be in interior design.
Experience Required for the Position
- A minimum of three years of full-time professional work experience in design is required.
- NCIDQ certification is required.
- Proficiency and ability to teach AutoCAD, Revit, and Adobe Creative Suite is required.
- A request for prior service credit of up to three years in a tenure-track/tenured position must be requested and approved before hire.
To be considered for the rank of Associate Professor, the applicant must meet the above qualifications.
- Additionally, the applicant should demonstrate evidence as a teacher/scholar with excellence in teaching, research/creative authority and an academic reputation in the field as appropriate for the position.
- To be eligible for tenure upon appointment, a candidate must be appointed as an Associate Professor at the time of application and currently tenured at a comparable institution. Any request for tenure upon appointment must be approved before hire.
Other Requirements for the Position
- Prior interior design program leadership or other related leadership experience is preferred.
- Experience in healthcare design is preferred.
- Experience in Rhino, Escape, and 3D printing is preferred.
- Experience with the CIDA accreditation process and preparation of self-study reports is also preferred.
- Membership in at least one of the following professional organizations: IDEC, IIDA, ASID, or AIA is preferred.
- Additional credentials/certifications in any one or more of the following: LEED-AP, AAHID, WELL-AP, or EDAC is preferred.
- Cover letter detailing the candidate’s interest in the position, teaching experience, research agenda, involvement in service at the community, departmental, university, state, or national level, and experience and commitment to working with diverse populations; it is also recommended that a candidate address any experiences related to the preferred criteria listed in the position description.
- Curriculum vitae
- A sample portfolio of student and/or professional design work in PDF. Please add to the Teaching Portfolio portion in the required documents list.
- Names and contact information for three professional references.
Sam Houston State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and Smoke/Drug-Free Workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, ancestry, marital status, citizenship, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, or gender identity or expression. Sam Houston State University is an “at will” employer. Employees with a contract will have additional terms and conditions. Security sensitive positions at SHSU require background checks in accordance with Education Code § 51.215.