Financial Aid Counselor
Iowa Wesleyan University
Iowa Wesleyan University is accepting applications for a Financial Aid Counselor. This position will work closely with the Director of Financial Aid in the management and administration of student financial aid programs, particularly with regard to student support, regulatory compliance, and financial aid packaging. This individual will also counsel students regarding their financial aid eligibility their questions relating to federal, state, and institutional aid programs.
Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide information to students regarding financial aid and student accounts using a team approach to counsel students.
- Accurate and expedited student financial aid packaging.
- Understand the procedures of Admissions, Registration, and Housing and how they can impact a student’s financial aid award package.
- Demonstrate an acute awareness of the confidential/sensitive nature of issues concerning students.
- Counsel students regarding eligibility for federal, state, and institutional aid programs.
- Manage outside scholarships and work-study coordination.
- Provide accurate information to all prospective and continuing students and/or parents regarding educational costs, availability of financial aid resources, program eligibility, application processes and strategies for meeting University costs.
- Work closely with students and parents in resolving errors or concerns.
- Ensure paperwork is complete and documented for awarding and loan processing.
- Assist students and families with the Verification process.
- Counsel families regarding award letters and provide financial guidance on payment of PLUS loans, alternative loans and monthly payment plans.
- Provide counseling relating to federal loan debt management.
- Provide backup to Business Office/Student Accounts.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of experience and education.
- 1 to 2 years of experience in student financial aid, a plus
- Excellent customer, telephone, and interpersonal skills.
- Possess the ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously with attention to detail.
- Computer skills
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to handle fast paced environment and remain productive.
Eligible candidates should upload their letter of interest, and contact information for three professional references at https://www.iw.edu/careers. No phone calls please; candidates will be contacted if additional information needed.
Iowa Wesleyan University is located in the southeastern Iowa town of Mount Pleasant and is one of the oldest four-year, higher education Institutions West of the Mississippi River. We are a transformational learning community whose passion is to educate, empower, and inspire students to lead meaningful lives and careers.
Iowa Wesleyan University offers academic programs with a strong liberal arts foundation together with career focused majors. Iowa Wesleyan includes undergraduate, graduate, and online learning. Service-learning is integrated into the curriculum, ensuring that all students connect classroom learning with service to others.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer
Iowa Wesleyan University is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. No person may be unlawfully discriminated against in employment because of race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran status, creed, national origin, age, disability, genetics, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. All aspects of the employment relationship are covered by this policy, and all employees and applicants are protected from unlawful discrimination in recruiting, hiring, placement, training, evaluation, job assignment, pay, benefits, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation, or discharge. Any form of discrimination or retaliation is not allowed.
Iowa Wesleyan University expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran status, creed, national origin, age, disability, genetics, or any other protected status.