Research Study Coordinator Senior (Part-Time)
Job ID: 43894
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Department: MED-Preventive Medicine
Coordinates & completes the day to day administrative & technical activities involved in a single complex, large, nationwide or multiple moderately complex concurrent biomedical &/or social-behavioral research study(ies) involving multiple sites& /or longitudinal assessments/ interventions. Ensures that all activities are completed by strictly following Good Clinical Practices (GCP) & all relevant current local, state, & federal laws, regulations, guidance, policy & procedure developed by the NU Institutional Review Board (IRB), Food & Drug Administration (FDA) Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), & the International Conference on Harmonization (ICH).
The All of Us Research Program (AoURP) at Northwestern Medicine is an unprecedented, large-scale multi-site study that will enroll 31,000 participants over the next 5 years. Under the direction of the Director of Research Engagement and Principal Investigator, the Research Study Coordinator Senior for AoURP will support efforts to recruit, engage and retain participants, patients, family members, community members, health system providers and staff. The candidate will also partner with internal/external staff regarding community outreach engagement initiatives related to AoURP including the development and/or review of community-based education programs, establish and maintain locations for recruitment and data collection, generating print and web materials, and training competencies regarding clinical research recruitment, participation and retention.
Positions may be based at one (or more) of the following locations:
- Chicago, IL
- Geneva, IL
- Grayslake, IL
Working hours may vary but will include evenings (minimum 3 hours per week) and weekends based on call and event needs.
**Please Note: Positions may be based at one (or more) of the following locations: Chicago, IL; Geneva, IL; Grayslake, IL Working hours may vary and could include evenings and occasional weekends. At minimum 12.5% of weekly hours worked will be spent making phone calls. May be required to travel to various sites based on needs or recruitment, engagement and retention activities.
Supervisor provides objectives, deadlines and specific instructions only for new, difficult, and/or unusual work. Work is reviewed upon completion and only occasionally to verify technical accuracy and compliance with practice, policy, and procedures. EE informs supervisor of on-going progress and/or potentially controversial matters.
- Participates in the planning & conduct of research studies (via in-person and remotely, including phone and computer devices).
- Reviews project & protocol & recommends strategies to expedite study.
- Recruits & retains participants.
- Obtains informed consent.
- Administers tests &/or questionnaires following protocols.
- Collects, compiles, tabulates &/or process responses.
- Gathers information.
- Extracts & analyzes data from medical charts.
- Monitors & maintains systems for effective participant and data flow for studies.
- Performs physical function assessment.
- Participates in meetings.
- Conducts communications and engagement with community partners and health provider organization stakeholders.
- Assists in generating print and digital images, logos and website updates.
- Accurately enters data into various systems.
- Conducts research program related presentations.
- Manages study databases which may include ensuring that data is collected & entered correctly.
- Reviews & analyzes data.
- Creates computer models, graphs, reports & summaries for use in publications, professional journals, & grant applications.
- Writes portions of grant applications.
- Co-authors scientific papers for presentation & publication.
- Researches & obtains funding.
- Creates & maintains study manuals regarding operating, safety, and etc. procedures.
- Ensures that all study documents associated with current local, state, & federal regulatory guidelines, requirements, laws & research protocols are completed in a timely manner.
- Schedules recruitment or retention events, meetings and organizes agendas and minutes with attendees.
- Assists in scheduling staff to ensure all recruitment efforts have sufficient coverage.
- May process payments for research participants per study protocol.
- Creates lab financial plan & budget/audit expenses.
- Obtains sales quotes for lab equipment & supplies.
- Reviews & adjusts expenses to decrease costs.
- Oversees repair & maintenance of all lab equipment & ensures that lab supplies are ready & available when necessary.
- Administers budget including negotiating with grant sponsors.
- Maintains & reconciles expenditures & balances in regard to research accounts & budgets.
- Trains, directs, assigns duties to & may supervise research staff, students, residents &/or fellows.
- Acts as a mentor in regard to education of junior coordinators
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in a major such as social or health science or related; OR appropriate combination of education and experience and 4 years' research study or other relevant experience required; OR
- Successful completion of a full course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a master's or higher degree in a major such as social or health science or related; OR appropriate combination of education and experience and 2 years' research study or other relevant experience.
- Must complete NU's IRB CITI training before interacting with any participants & must re-certify every 3 years.
- Customer service
- Clear communication of ideas
- Attention to detail for accurate data reporting
- Flexibility and organization
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience with research communications and engagement
Preferred Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities)
- Selected candidates will be expected to perform remote and in-office phone and computer work and have the ability to deal with people from all cultures and socio-economic levels in a friendly manner.
- Willingness to pitch in and help the study team members wherever help is required is a necessity.
- Must have an engaging, energetic personality and be able to transmit excitement and passion for the project to potential participants.
Please apply online at https://careers.northwestern.edu/psp/hr857prd_er/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=43894&PostingSeq=1
At Northwestern, we are proud to provide meaningful, competitive, high-quality health care plans, retirement benefits, tuition discounts and more! Visit us at https://www.northwestern.edu/hr/benefits/index.html to learn more.
Work-Life and Wellness:
Northwestern offers comprehensive programs and services to help you and your family navigate life’s challenges and opportunities, and adopt and maintain healthy lifestyles.
We support flexible work arrangements where possible and programs to help you locate and pay for quality, affordable childcare and senior/adult care. Visit us at https://www.northwestern.edu/hr/benefits/work-life/index.html to learn more.
Professional Growth & Development:
Northwestern supports employee career development in all circumstances whether your workspace is on campus or at home. If you’re interested in developing your professional potential or continuing your formal education, we offer a variety of tools and resources. Visit us at https://www.northwestern.edu/hr/learning/index.html to learn more.
Northwestern requires all staff and faculty to be vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to limited exceptions. For more information, please visit our COVID-19 and Campus Updates website.
The Northwestern campus sits on the traditional homelands of the people of the Council of Three Fires, the Ojibwe, Potawatomi, and Odawa as well as the Menominee, Miami and Ho-Chunk nations. We acknowledge and honor the original people of the land upon which Northwestern University stands, and the Native people who remain on this land today.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Click for information on EEO is the Law.