This job is archived
BASIC FUNCTION AND SCOPE OF JOB:
The Benefits Specialist is a strategic employee focused business partner that works collaboratively across Golden Gate University to support faculty and staff primarily in benefits.
- Administer 403b retirement plan through our current vendor Transamerica, and previous legacy vendors.
- Areas of responsibility include medical, dental, vision, life, and AD&D insurance, long-term disability insurance, employee assistance program, flexible spending programs, retirement programs, COBRA vendor management, workers compensation insurance and wellness initiatives.
- Oversee and monitor FMLA/CFRA, PDL, Workers Comp and other LOAs.
- Monitor and track FMLA/SDI/PFL salary integration.
- Monitor and track ADA accommodations. Serve as the centralized point of contact for disability issues.
- Handle coordination with COBRA administrator of COBRA eligibility and administration.
- Prepares and executes, with legal consultation, benefit documentation such as original and amended plan texts, benefit agreements and insurance policies.
- Instructs insurance carriers, trustees, and other administrative agencies outside the company to effect changes in benefit program.
- Ensures prompt and accurate compliance with all government filings such as the Department of Labor Form 5500s; ACA; OSHAs Form 300a and surveys; and CMS disclosure for creditable coverage.
- File monthly, and quarterly workers comp reports, and SF Health Options timely.
- Update ACA hours monthly in Paycom.
- Assist current and previous employees with successfully and timely roll over or consolidate their retirement funds.
- Plans and directs implementation and administration of employee benefit programs such as health insurance, disability insurance, life insurance, workers compensation, employee assistance, retirement, and other plans.
- Analyzes and evaluates services, coverage, and options available through insurance and investment companies to determine programs best meeting needs of organization.
- Provides services to employees to answer their benefit questions, resolve problems related to access to or payment of benefits, orient newly eligible employees, and process enrollment forms, changes, and loan requests.
- Maintains employee benefits data in automated human resources information systems.
- Coordinate transfer of data to external vendors, plan providers, auditors, and consultants.
- Reconcile Benefit bills with ITS (Paycom) records, and employees’ elections monthly.
- Collectively work with advisors on negotiating contracts with benefit plan providers, vendors, auditors, and consultants for services, premiums, and plan administration.
- Audits benefit plans for compliance with government regulations.
- Maintains knowledge of and analyzes government regulations, benefit program trends, and prevailing practices among similar organizations.
- Analyzes benefits experience for cost-control and risk-assessment factors.
- Consults with managers and health care professionals to evaluate the need for, develop, and implement accommodations, return-to-work, light-duty, and other responses for disabled employees.
- Serves as a point of contact for employee issues and inquiries, including but not limited to benefits, payroll, and company policies.
- Develop ad-hoc reports, presentations, and analyses as required.
- Assist employees submitting leave, qualifying life events, and benefits changes in Paycom as needed.
- Other duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Bachelor's Degree
- 2-3+ years benefits administration experience is required.
- 403b administration experience is required.
- Experience in higher education and/or not-for-profit environment desirable.
- Highest standards of accuracy, precision, organization, and professional ethics.
- Advanced MS Office skills.
- Articulate with excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to think creatively, highly driven and self-motivated, and excellent customer service.
- Knowledge of benefit laws and regulations, including ERISA, HIPAA, FMLA/CFRA, PDL, COBRA, ACA, etc.
- Knowledge fully insured health plan administration.
- Short term and long-term disability programs.
- Experience with multi-state workers compensation regulation and SDI claims.
To apply: Please go to http://www.ggu.edu/jobs and submit an application, letter of interest, and a resume.
In applying for a position, candidates sign a consent authorizing a broader inquiry which may include reference checks, a motor vehicle check, and a third party background check.
Golden Gate University is an equal employment opportunity employer. We support inclusive excellence and are committed to creating a safe and welcoming community for all.
University policy prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, gender stereotyping, and gender identity, taking a protected leave (e.g. family medical or pregnancy leave), or on any other basis protected by applicable laws.
The University has a strong commitment to the principles of diversity and inclusion, and to maintaining working and learning environments that reinforces these practices. The University welcomes and encourages applications from all especially women, minorities, people of color, veterans, persons with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQI community.
Golden Gate University annually collects information about campus crimes and other reportable incidents in accordance with the Federal Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. To view the Golden Gate University Report, please go to http://www.ggu.edu/media/employee/documents/facilities/street-smarts-annual-security-report.pdf.