Iowa Wesleyan University is seeking a Manager of Student Accounts to provide leadership and expertise in the area of student accounts. The Manager of Student Accounts will be responsible for managing all student accounts operations, relationships, activities, and records, including billing and collections. The Manager of Student Accounts works collaboratively with staff in the Business Office, Financial Aid Office, and Student Success Center, as well as athletic coaches and academic advisors to improve the student experience. This position does requires someone who is able to enforce our collections policies while working empathetically and compassionately with our students and their families.
This is a full-time exempt position that includes the opportunity to participate in the university’s benefit package.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Establish and implement student billing procedures, including annual sequence of billing communications and billing statements.
- Update Student Accounts Policies and Procedures Manual
- Assist students and families with financial literacy and navigating the process of financing their IW education.
- Work with students and families to set up payment plans and monitor payment plan status.
- Maintain database with notes detailing communications with students and parents
- Work closely with the Financial Aid Office to ensure that student financial aid payments and outside scholarships are applied in the proper order to student accounts in compliance with institutional policies and federal regulations.
- Complete training modules in the administration of financial aid in order to have a basic foundational understanding of policies and regulations.
- Post miscellaneous manual charges to student accounts.
- Review and issue student refunds.
- Assist international students with setting up automated international payments on their accounts.
- Work with collection agencies to ensure follow-up on delinquent student accounts.
- Conduct campus wide training sessions on the use of the online student financial portal.
- Collect and deposit student account payments and any other incoming cash or checks.
- Monitor student accounts and place holds when necessary.
- Work with other University departments in the management of the award and distribution procedures for federal student CARES grant funds.
- Ensure integrity of the University’s billing code system, tuition amounts, and fee assessments.
- Responsible for updating system billing codes and tuition/fee amounts per semester.
- Mitigation of delinquent student accounts and initiation of late fee assessments.
- Work closely with success coaches, athletic coaches, and advisors in helping students to resolve accounts that are on financial hold.
- Preparation and review of annual 1098-T reporting.
- Other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business Management, or a related field
- 3 – 5 years of progressive experience in student accounts, accounts receivable, bursar, or other related professional experience, including experience in collections.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience in accounts receivable will be considered.
- Experience in higher education or a not-for-profit environment is preferred.
- Comprehensive knowledge of billing and collection principles.
- Knowledge of higher education student billing procedures a plus, including familiarity with FERPA regulations and best practices to ensure accurate and timely processing of student charges, payments, and refunds.
- Proven proficiency using computer technology and a variety of software programs, specifically database, billing, and receivable systems. Experience with Great Plains, Elucian, CAMS, or similar ERP systems, a plus.
- Familiarity with spreadsheet and word processing software required. .
- Proficient English language sills, with Spanish language skills a plus.
- Demonstrated exceptional interpersonal skills, verbal, and written communication skills in order to communicate with a diverse student population.
- Ability to manage complex and sensitive situations objectively and with confidentiality, tact, compassion, and diplomacy.
- Demonstrated organizational, critical thinking, analytical, and judgement skills, with the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Willingness and ability to work occasional evenings and weekends during admissions open houses, student move-in days, student orientation sessions, or other special events.
- Ability to maintain a customer service focus and to deliver accurate information in a timely manner.
- Ability to work independently and take on projects with limited guidance.
Review of resumes will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates must upload their letter of interest, resume/CV, transcripts, and contact information for three professional references at https://www.iw.edu/careers.
No phone calls please, candidates will be contacted if search committee is in need of further information. Iowa Wesleyan University is an equal opportunity employer.