Administrative Support Assistant III - Counseling & Financial Aid (2 positions)
For full details and to apply, go to https://jobs.miracosta.edu/postings/2996
Type of Assignment: Full Time
Assignment Category: Regular Position
This recruitment is for two positions:
One regular, district-funded, full-time position, 40 hours per week, 12 months per year, on the Oceanside campus in the Counseling department. The anticipated work schedule will normally be Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm. The person selected for this position will be subject to assignment to any district facility during any hours of operation.
One regular, district-funded, full-time position, 40 hours per week, 12 months per year, on the Oceanside campus in the Financial Aid department. The anticipated work schedule will normally be Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm. The person selected for this position will be subject to assignment to any district facility during any hours of operation.
MiraCosta College believes that flexible work enables employees to achieve a more successful balance between work responsibilities and family life. The District offers the opportunity to telework (remote work) for certain positions, depending on the operational needs of the District and the provisions of the telework policy. Probationary and temporary employees are not eligible to telework unless approved by the appropriate vice president. No employee is guaranteed the right to telework. No employee shall be authorized to telework 100% of the time; regular, on-campus presence is expected for all District employees on a weekly basis.
IMPORTANT: MiraCosta College requires that all employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to promote a safe and healthful workplace for employees and to promote the health and safety of our campus community. Unvaccinated employees are at greater risk of contracting and spreading COVID-19 within the workplace and to the college community that depends on college programs and services. As of August 23, 2021, all employees must submit proof of vaccination or request and receive approval for a medical or religious exemption prior to their start date. For more information, please visit https://www.miracosta.edu/covid/covid-vaccination-requirements.html
Salary Range: 20
Compensation: Starting at $5,221.50 per month (range 20, step 1) on the 2021-2022 classified salary schedule.
Employees must make arrangements for the direct deposit of paychecks into the financial institution of their choice, via electronic fund transfer.
A full benefits package which includes employer-paid medical, dental, and vision plans for employee and dependents; $100,000 employee life insurance; other optional coverages; and membership in the California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS).
Position Term in Months: $Term
In order to be considered for this position, you must submit the following documents directly in the online system and finish applying and receive a confirmation number by 11:59 PM on the closing date:
1. Application on which you list all relevant experience.
2. A current resume or curriculum vitae summarizing your educational background and experience.
3. A cover letter addressed to the “Screening and Interview Committee” specifically describing how your experience aligns with the Essential Duties, Other Duties, and Desirable Qualifications.
The screening and interview committee will review application materials for up to three to four weeks following the closing date. Applicants selected for interview will be contacted by phone; those not selected for interview will be notified by e-mail once interview candidates have been scheduled.
Offer of employment to the person selected for this position is contingent upon 1) proof of being fully vaccinated* for COVID-19 or requesting and receiving approval for a medical or religious exemption; 2) successful completion of a pre-placement physical exam at district expense; 3) submission of a current tuberculosis test clearance; 4) proof of eligibility to work in the United States; 5) fingerprint clearance; and 6) approval by the Board of Trustees.
*Individuals are considered fully vaccinated against COVID-19 two weeks or more after they have received the second dose in a 2-dose series (e.g. Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna), or two weeks or more after they have received a single-dose vaccine (e.g., Johnson and Johnson [J&J/Janssen).
Retired STRS members are not eligible for this position.
Under general supervision, perform difficult and responsible administrative and operational support duties; assist in the management and implementation of faculty and staff schedules; manage assigned administrative projects and small administrative programs; maintain records and draft reports; process payroll, personnel requisitions, purchase orders and maintain supplies; and perform related duties as assigned.
Under general supervision, perform difficult and responsible administrative and operational support duties; manage assigned administrative projects and small administrative programs; maintain records and draft reports; process payroll, personnel requisitions, purchase orders and maintain supplies; and perform related duties as assigned.
An Administrative Support Assistant III is the advanced skill level in the Administrative Support series. Administrative Support Assistant III differs from Administrative Assistant to the Dean in that incumbents in the latter class provide specialized administrative support for a Dean such as budget analysis and grant administration, tracking faculty tenure, loads and reviews and program information.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this class.
1. Provide administrative, logistical and technical support to a department head and professional staff; coordinate and participate in department administrative support operations and programs with a significant degree of independence; perform research for students and professional staff on specific student/department issues, placements, eligibility and articulation information; act as a liaison for the department head with other departments and departmental staff.
2. Oversee and participate in student and customer interactions with the department in person, by phone or electronically, provide information regarding other student and customer resources available; schedule students/program participants for counseling appointments, workshops, orientations and special events; answer questions regarding program/department policies, procedures and services including clarification of enrollment requirements, the program application process, registration information and financial aid; respond to escalated questions and complaints over the phone or at a public counter.
3. Accept applications, screen and explain program eligibility for new and continuing students/ program participants according to district and program guidelines; manage waitlists and send notifications of acceptance/denial; monitor continuing students for adherence to program regulations; advise students of requirements that must be met in order to maintain eligibility; assist students in resolving issues impacting program eligibility.
4. Perform advanced administrative support including maintaining student, personnel, payroll and financial records, files and databases; prepare marketing materials, forms and other program documentation; receive and track confidential student and faculty data including immunizations and compliance with federal, state and district regulations, policies and requirements; develop, track, analyze and report administrative processes, metrics and documents; research, obtain and analyzes key data and statistics from varying sources for program reports, proposals, in-services, program reviews and other documents.
5. Input data and prepare and process purchase requisitions, purchase orders and check requests; verify the accuracy of receipts and invoices, enter account codes, validate sufficiency of budget and process for payment; monitor department budgets; purchase supplies and materials and/or authorize expenditures according to established guidelines; prepare and process expense-related forms including travel requests and reimbursements, petty cash and expense reports.
6. Coordinate full and part-time staff payroll; process personnel requisitions; collect and audit documentation supporting staff time logs and ensure conformance to work hour restrictions; compute and categorize pay according to departmental/program billing accounts; ensure accurate usage of funding codes and calculate departmental/program billing; prepare timecards; provide confidential and efficient recordkeeping; assist the Payroll Department with resolution of payroll issues.
7. Using standard office software, compose and/or type memoranda, correspondence, reports, agreements, contracts, presentations, spreadsheets, forms and other documents; draft, proofread and/or edit a variety of materials including marketing materials, press releases, invitations, programs, publications and reports; take, transcribe and distribute meeting minutes.
8. Create, develop, maintain and update specialized and custom forms, databases, logs, files, records and reports to support technical work processes in areas of responsibility; design, develop and maintain spreadsheets and databases requiring data interpretation and manipulation; track and maintain federal, state, grantor and district-required data and student outcomes and prepare for submission or reporting.
9. Schedule appointments and make meeting arrangements; assist with the development and coordination of departmental special events; assist with setup and cleanup for various meetings and events; contact vendors for food orders, materials, supplies and audio-visual equipment; handle other meeting and event logistics including soliciting volunteers and coordinating student workers.
1. Provide backup to other department staff as needed.
2. Contact campus police or custodial staff as needed.
3. Provide lead-level work direction to other clerical staff and student workers as assigned.
4. Update and maintain department-specific website and social media accounts.
5. Receive and distribute mail.
6. Perform related duties as assigned.
1. Principles, practices, concepts and techniques used in customer service, public relations and community outreach.
2. Modern office practices, procedures and equipment including computers and applicable software programs.
3. The district’s student recordkeeping and general accounting systems, practices and procedures for processing student information and interpreting input and output data.
4. District practices and procedures for budgeting, purchasing and maintaining public records.
5. Payroll procedures and operations.
6. Math and basic accounting techniques.
7. Operations, services and activities of a community college district.
8. Common student needs, issues and concerns applicable to area of assignment.
9. Principles and practices of sound business communication; correct English usage, including spelling, grammar and punctuation.
10. District organization, functions, rules, policies and procedures applicable to assigned areas of responsibility.
11. Applicable federal, state and local laws, rules and regulations [including OSHA rules and regulations if applicable].
12. Basic principles and practices of employee supervision.
13. District human resources policies and labor contract provisions.
14. Safety policies and safe work practices applicable to the work.
1. Assign and inspect the work of student workers and lower-level staff.
2. Organize and oversee the day-to-day operations, maintenance and activities of the department administrative support staff.
3. Compose clear, concise and comprehensive analyses, correspondence, reports, studies, agreements, presentations and other written materials from brief instructions.
4. Establish priorities and work effectively and independently with many demands on time.
5. Analyze situations accurately and adopt effective courses of action.
6. Maintain confidentiality of district and student files and records.
7. Make calculations/tabulations and accurately process and review fiscal and related documents.
8. Assist in preparing and monitoring a program or department budget.
9. Track statistical information utilizing complex spreadsheets and databases.
10. Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
11. Understand and follow written and oral instructions.
12. Operate a computer and standard business software.
13. Demonstrate sensitivity to and understanding of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, ethnic and disability issues.
14. Establish and maintain effective working relationships with all those encountered in the course of work.
Education & Experience:
To be eligible for this position, you must meet and provide evidence of the following minimum qualifications:
Graduation from high school or GED equivalent, and three years of progressively responsible clerical/administrative support experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience. An associate degree is preferred and may be required to advance to higher levels in the class series.
NOTE: For work experience, one “year” is defined as equivalent to 40 hours per week for 12 months, or at least 2,080 hours.
1. Previous experience working with and creating either Microsoft Excel or Google spreadsheets.
2. Previous experience working with computer systems and applications related to counseling functions such as SARS, PeopleSoft, and web-based software.
3. Demonstrated experience working collaboratively with Student Services and Instructional departments.
1. Experience with financial aid programs.
Licenses & Other Requirements:
A valid California driver’s license and the ability to maintain insurability under the district’s vehicle insurance program.
The physical efforts described here are representative of those that must be met by employees to successfully perform the essential functions of this class. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Primarily sedentary with intermittent standing, walking, bending and stooping; occasional light lifting and carrying of objects weighing up to 25 pounds; ability to work at a computer, including repetitive use of computer keyboard, mouse, or other control devices; ability to travel to various locations on and off campus as needed to conduct district business.
Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships involving interactions and communications personally, by phone and in writing with a variety of individuals and/or groups from diverse backgrounds on a regular, ongoing basis; ability to work effectively under pressure on a variety of tasks concurrently while meeting established deadlines and changing priorities.
Primarily business office environment; subject to frequent public contact and interruption; intermittent exposure to individuals acting in a disagreeable fashion; occasional evening, weekend and/or holiday hours required on an as-needed basis.
Posting Number: S21/22045P
Human Resources Contact Information: firstname.lastname@example.org or [Register to View]
Job Close Date: 4/18/2022
Open Until Filled:
First Screening Date:
About MiraCosta College
MiraCosta College is one of California's 115 public community colleges. The district operates two campus sites and two centers, and offers a robust online education program. Situated between San Diego and Los Angeles, MiraCosta College benefits from multicultural influences and cultural opportunities. Both students and staff enjoy a friendly atmosphere and the feeling that we are all here to help one another. MiraCosta College is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. For more details, please visit our website at https://www.miracosta.edu/office-of-the-president/board-of-trustees/_docs/3400BP-Diversity-Equity-Inclusion.pdf
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-db6b452dcffa[Register to View]