The Medical College of Wisconsin brings a synergy between the best medical education, research and patient care. Tomorrow’s discoveries happen right here alongside the very people who bring those lessons to our students. Every bit of knowledge, and every advancement, provides our students with an unprecedented, collaborative learning environment, and helps improve the vitality and care of our communities.
In the role of Business Manager working in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. This position is responsible for fiscal stability and management of key business functional areas of the cancer center and clinical trials office: purchasing, payables, pharmaceutical sponsor billing and collection, internal research labor billing, and development of annual non-personnel operational budget.
Coordinate and direct the finance office staff to support the post-award financial administration of clinical research operation, implement controls to manage revenue collection and expenses to meet target margin goals. Work closely with the Director of Finance & Operations, Clinical Trials Office (CTO) Business Development & Contract Manager, departments, and institutional partners to ensure that the Cancer Center business operations are complying with institutional financial policies.
- Work collaboratively with the Director of Finance providing financial status reporting on all aspects of CTO financial performance
- Lead, direct and provide direct supervision of the Finance operations team:
- Financial Specialist-Billing
- Financial Assistant I, II- Purchasing, Payables, Collection
- • Communication of Cancer Center & MCW policies, procedures, policies, and directives from Cancer Center leadership.
- • Establish workload task assignments across the Finance team, time & attendance, conduct annual performance reviews, goal setting for individuals and team, establish and review functional metrics to measure and evaluate individual and team performance
Daily Financial Operations:
- Collaborate with the Director of Finance, and Financial Analyst to coordinate, implement and assert financial controls over CTO financial operations
- Contribute to the development or implementation of new systems, processes and tools to enhance financial operational oversight of the Clinical Trials Office business functions
- Assesses the status of the CC CTO to develop and implement new policies and procedures as needed
- Oversight of compliance with MCW, federal, state and local regulations pertaining to clinical research finance
Management of Purchasing/Payables Operation:
- Works with OCRICC and CTO Manager of Business Development & Contracts to implement any corrections needed related to complex billing and reimbursement issues related to research patient accounts
- Oversight of Purchasing and Accounts Payables operations for the Cancer Center and CTO ensuring that service delivery standards are met, resolution and handling of escalated issues
Management of CTO Research Labor Billing:
- Oversight of CTO research labor billing operation ensuring monthly labor is billed in an accurate and timely
- Provide guidance and resolution of any labor allocation issues that cannot be resolved by the Financial Specialist
- Monitor and control labor allocations to appropriate funding sources to prevent operational deficits
Management of Clinical Revenue Billing & Collection
- Oversight of CTO invoicing to internal & external clients to ensure finance targets are met
- A/R collection operations, direct management of aged receivables >150 days
- Oversight of daily CTO revenue collection processing to ensure that payments are collected and processed within the established collection timeframes
- Coordinate with CTO Manager of Business Development & Contracts, sponsor, institutional partners to resolve late or uncollected aged-receivables
- Communications with MCW Sponsored Programs and Controller’s office for management and coordination of payment application and booked receivables in a timely manner
Knowledge – Skills – Abilities
Strong people and team building skills, Knowledge of economics, accounting, mathematics, administration, English language, law, government, and human resources. Work requires resource management, mathematics, problem solving, coordinating work activities, critical thinking, systems analysis, operations analysis, time management, writing, active listening, and active learning skills. Speech clarity, speech recognition, finger dexterity, and wrist-finger speed while operating computers abilities required
Appropriate experience may be substituted for education on an equivalent basis
- Minimum Required Education: Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum Required Experience: 6 years
- Preferred Experience: purchasing & payable systems, billing & collection in an academic medical healthcare center, supervisory experience leading a team, and financial management of multi-faceted operations.
- Outstanding Healthcare Coverage, including but not limited to Health, Vison, and Dental. Along with Flexible Spending options
- 403B Retirement Package
- Competitive Vacation and Paid Holidays offered
- Tuition Reimbursement
- On campus Fitness Facility, offering onsite classes.
- Additional discounted rates on things as: Select cell phone plans, local fitness facilities, Milwaukee recreation and entertainment etc.
For a full list of positions see: www.mcw.edu/careers
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
MCW as an Equal Opportunity Employer and Commitment to Non-Discrimination
The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff, and students, as well as ensuring equal educational opportunity, employment, and access to services, programs, and activities, without regard to an individual's race, color, national origin, religion, age, disability, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristic, or military status. Employees, students, applicants or other members of the MCW community (including but not limited to vendors, visitors, and guests) may not be subjected to harassment that is prohibited by law or treated adversely or retaliated against based upon a protected characteristic.