Payroll Manager (2022)
For full details and to apply, go to https://jobs.miracosta.edu/postings/2995
Type of Assignment: Full Time
Assignment Category: Regular Position
One regular, overtime-exempt, full-time position, 40 hours per week, 12 months per year on the Oceanside campus. The work schedule will normally be Monday through Friday, 7:00 am - 4:00 pm. The person selected for this position will be subject to assignment to any district facility during any hours of operation.
MiraCosta College believes that flexible work enables employees to achieve a more successful balance between work responsibilities and family life. The District offers the opportunity to telework (remote work) for certain positions, depending on the operational needs of the District and the provisions of the telework policy. Probationary and temporary employees are not eligible to telework unless approved by the appropriate vice president. No employee is guaranteed the right to telework. No employee shall be authorized to telework 100% of the time; regular, on-campus presence is expected for all District employees on a weekly basis.
IMPORTANT: MiraCosta College requires that all employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to promote a safe and healthful workplace for employees and to promote the health and safety of our campus community. Unvaccinated employees are at greater risk of contracting and spreading COVID-19 within the workplace and to the college community that depends on college programs and services. As of August 23, 2021, all employees must submit proof of vaccination or request and receive approval for a medical or religious exemption prior to their start date. For more information, please visit https://www.miracosta.edu/covid/covid-vaccination-requirements.html
Salary Range: CL-37
Compensation: Starting at $8,532 per month (range 37, step 1) on the 2021-2022 confidential salary schedule.
Employees must make arrangements for the direct deposit of paychecks into the financial institution of their choice, via electronic fund transfer.
A full benefits package which includes employer-paid medical, dental, and vision plans for employee and dependents; $100,000 employee life insurance; other optional coverages; and membership in the California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS).
Position Term in Months: $Term
In order to be considered for this position, you must submit the following documents directly in the online system and finish applying and receive a confirmation number by 11:59 PM on Monday, April 11th, 2022:
1. Application on which you list all relevant experience.
2. A current resume or curriculum vitae summarizing your educational background and experience.
3. A cover letter addressed to the “Screening and Interview Committee” specifically describing how your experience aligns with the Essential Duties, Other Duties, and Desirable Qualifications.
4. Transcripts of college coursework which provide evidence of meeting the minimum qualifications as stated in this job posting. Unofficial or legible photocopies are acceptable. If a degree(s) was earned, the transcripts must state that the degree was awarded. Any degree/coursework used to satisfy the minimum qualifications must be from a postsecondary institution accredited by an accreditation agency recognized by either the U.S. Department of Education or the Council on Postsecondary Accreditation.
If your degree(s) is from a college or university outside of the United States, you must submit a detailed evaluation from a professional evaluation agency. To view a list of agencies approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing, go to https://www.ctc.ca.gov/docs/default-source/leaflets/cl635.pdf?sfvrsn=6. Transcripts or translations in English still require the evaluation to show the U.S. equivalence of your degree.
The screening and interview committee will review application materials for up to three to four weeks following the closing date. Applicants selected for interview will be contacted by phone; those not selected for interview will be notified by e-mail once interview candidates have been scheduled.
Offer of employment to the person selected for this position is contingent upon 1) proof of being fully vaccinated* for COVID-19 or requesting and receiving approval for a medical or religious exemption; 2) successful completion of a pre-placement physical exam at district expense; 3) submission of a current tuberculosis test clearance; 4) proof of eligibility to work in the United States; 5) fingerprint clearance; and 6) approval by the Board of Trustees.
*Individuals are considered fully vaccinated against COVID-19 two weeks or more after they have received the second dose in a 2-dose series (e.g. Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna), or two weeks or more after they have received a single-dose vaccine (e.g., Johnson and Johnson [J&J/Janssen).
Retired STRS members are not eligible for this position.
Under general direction, oversees and supervises the district’s payroll functions, ensuring that pay is processed on time, accurately, and in compliance with government regulations.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this class.
1. Recruits, interviews, recommend hires, and trains staff.
2. Oversees scheduling, assignments, and the daily workflow of the department.
3. Provides constructive and timely performance evaluations.
4. Implements, maintains, audits, and reviews payroll processing systems to ensure timely and accurate processing of payroll transactions including salaries, benefits, garnishments, taxes, and other deductions.
5. Ensures accurate and timely processing of payroll updates including new hires, temporary workers, promotions, terminations, and changes to pay rates.
6. Prepares, provides, and maintains accurate payroll records, reports, and information.
7. Ensures compliance with federal, state, and local payroll wage, and hour laws and best practices.
8. Oversees, identifies, recommends, implements updates and improvements to payroll processes, procedures, and enterprise resource system.
9. Research, respond to, and resolve payroll-related inquiries including difficult problems and sensitive information; identify and report findings, make recommendations, and take necessary corrective actions.
10. Assists in developing equitable policies and procedures.
1. Participate in committees, task forces, and special assignments.
2. Perform related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Extensive knowledge of the payroll function including preparation, balancing, internal control, payroll taxes, applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
2. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
3. Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
4. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
5. Strong supervisory and leadership skills.
6. Proficient in a variety of office equipment including a computer and appropriate software.
7. Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality.
8. Interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures and apply them in a variety of procedural situations.
9. Coordinate, supervise and use automated systems to maintain records, collect data and generate reports.
10. Demonstrate sensitivity to and understanding of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, ethnic and disability issues.
Education & Experience:
To be eligible for this position, you must meet and provide evidence of the following minimum qualifications:
A bachelor’s degree preferably in accounting, business or related field, and four years of progressively responsible work experience in a payroll department; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
NOTE: For work experience, one “year” is defined as equivalent to 40 hours per week for 12 months, or at least 2,080 hours.
1. Experience working in a payroll department at a community college, K-12 district, or other public sector employment.
2. Experience working with collective bargaining agreements and working conditions manuals.
Licenses & Other Requirements:
A valid California driver’s license and the ability to maintain insurability under the district’s vehicle insurance program.
The physical efforts described here are representative of those that must be met by employees to successfully perform the essential functions of this class. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Primarily sedentary with intermittent standing, walking, bending and stooping; occasional light lifting and carrying of objects weighing up to 25 pounds; ability to travel to various locations on and off campus as needed to conduct district business.
Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships involving interactions and communications personally, by phone and in writing with a variety of individuals and/or groups from diverse backgrounds on a regular, ongoing basis; ability to work effectively under pressure on a variety of tasks concurrently while meeting established deadlines and changing priorities.
Primarily business office environment; subject to frequent public contact and interruption; intermittent exposure to individuals acting in a disagreeable fashion; may work at any district location or authorized facility with occasional evenings and/or weekends on an as-needed basis. Occasional local travel may be requested.
Posting Number: S21/22044P
Human Resources Contact Information: email@example.com or [Register to View]
Job Close Date: 4/11/2022
Open Until Filled: No
First Screening Date:
About MiraCosta College
MiraCosta College is one of California's 115 public community colleges. The district operates two campus sites and two centers, and offers a robust online education program. Situated between San Diego and Los Angeles, MiraCosta College benefits from multicultural influences and cultural opportunities. Both students and staff enjoy a friendly atmosphere and the feeling that we are all here to help one another. MiraCosta College is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. For more details, please visit our website at https://www.miracosta.edu/office-of-the-president/board-of-trustees/_docs/3400BP-Diversity-Equity-Inclusion.pdf
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-c796c6961103ae45a24a2abd654be53e