This job is archived
Position Title: Vice President for Institutional Advancement
Reports to: President
Position Number: A2A010
Position Summary: The Vice President for Institutional Advancement at Adams State University is responsible for strengthening relationships with external and internal constituents through stewardship, communications, media relations, social media, marketing, alumni relations, special events, fund raising, and other activities. As a Hispanic Serving Institution located in Alamosa, Colorado in the bucolic rural, agriculture rich San Luis Valley, the primary purpose of this key leadership position is about moving Adams State forward in a strategic and collaborative manner. This is an exceptional opportunity to join a vibrant leadership team and play a central role in enhancing the visibility and fundraising capabilities of an amazing institution. The Vice President of Institutional Advancement provides strategic and operational oversight to the following departments: Alumni Relations and Engagement, Events Management, Foundation, and Public Relations (to include all forms of internal and external communication, branding, and messaging of Adams State University). Reporting directly to the President, the Vice President of Institutional Advancement is expected to use extraordinary judgement and reflect the highest degree of personal and professional integrity. The Vice President of Institutional Advancement is a member of the President’s Executive Council.
Leadership and Management
- Promote a broad understanding and awareness of the University’s mission and programs.
- Work closely with the President to advance the institution’s image through engagement with all constituencies to include at a minimum: students, employees, alumni, donors, community members, legislative/elected officials, and all stakeholders related to Adams State University.
- Serve as a member of the President’s Executive Council, representing the division in the development, implementation, and evaluation of institutional plans, goals, and strategies; fulfilling the expectations outlined in Adams State’s 2025 Strategic Framework.
- Oversee the development and implementation of a comprehensive marketing plan to include news/media relations, marketing communications/publications, special events, and use of social media.
- Oversee the creation of and execution of fundraising plans utilizing best practices for annual, major, and planned gift programs. Adams State is in its 100th year and will be launching a major comprehensive campaign over the coming months.
- Oversee the enhancement of alumni relations and support new efforts to engage and renew relationships with close to 25,000 alumni.
- Oversee the coordination and collaboration of event planning to ensure every event represents the image of Adams State to engender and garner support and advocacy for the University.
- Seek and cultivate partnerships to enhance the mission and services of the University.
- Serve as an exemplary advocate in the community with local leaders, business and corporate partners; build relationships closely linking the community with the University and the University with our communities.
- Prepare, recommend, and implement budgets for assigned areas, monitor expenditures, and assure that human and financial resources are allocated efficiently and effectively.
- Ensure institutional compliance with federal, state, and other applicable governing regulations.
Public Relations & Marketing Functions
- Oversee public relations and communications, including brand management and the development of a strategic communication strategy with a wide array of audiences and through a variety of platforms.
- Prepare and disseminate information to the internal university community as well as to local and state media.
- Promote and publicize institutional activities and programs through development of marketing materials and a strategic advertising plan.
- Foster a culture of quality service to internal customers in the development of marketing materials and University publications.
- Provide consultation to the President and Executive Council on communication and public relations matters.
- Support the Adams State University President and Board of Trustees with public communication as needed.
- Oversee the operations of the Print Shop.
- Oversee the collection, analysis, and distribution of statistical data to drive performance.
- Coordinate with the President to advance the University’s legislative agenda.
- Oversee the university’s events management operations to ensure internal and external clients are able to host the kind of experience to enhance their perspective of Adams State University.
- Establish and maintain strong collaborations across campus to support event planning and execution.
- Develop strategies to increase the number of events held on campus.
Alumni Relations & Engagement
- Oversee the programs, activities, and communications designed to increase alumni pride in and active engagement with the university.
- Build a network and volunteer structure to support alumni engagement to promote the University.
- Create short- and long-term strategies aimed at increasing lifelong engagement between alumni and the University.
- Support and collaborate with the Vice President for Student Affairs to ensure a strong parent and family program which leads to stronger ties to the University.
Adams State University Foundation
- Provide active leadership, direction, and expertise to all fundraising programs for the university, including annual giving, corporate and foundation relations, major gifts, planned giving, and prospect research.
- Serve as point of contact and leadership for the University’s Centennial Campaign.
- Collaborate with the Adams State President and other university leadership to increase private charitable support for the university’s initiatives.
- Ensure timely and accurate updates of progress and information are provided to the President.
- Collaborate with the Foundation staff to ensure strong relationships are developed with key donors; work with the staff to develop strategies to secure major gifts and donations to the University.
Salazar Rio Grande del Norte Center
- Support, promote, and coordinate with the Center’s Director to advance the work in land and water conservation and education in the San Luis Valley.
The successful candidate will be innovative, strategic, and share a commitment to the mission and values of Adams State University. The individual should be a strong starter with the creative confidence and spirit to bring and develop new approaches, and should possess the energy and creative ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and develop solutions to complex problems in a fast-paced environment.
- Master’s degree in business administration, marketing, communication, fund-raising, or related field.
- Five years of progressively responsible experience in public relations, marketing, fund-raising or related areas.
- Experience with internal and external communities with high cultural and ethnic diversity.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and develop a strong and talented team.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and analytically.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Understanding of higher education.
- Ability to perform with a high degree of diplomacy, confidentiality, and professionalism.
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple responsibilities and meet multiple deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to work collegially and collaboratively with diverse internal and external constituencies.
- Ability to treat others with respect, civility, and courtesy and to work honestly, effectively, and collegially with employees, students, and the community. This includes the ability to use appropriate conflict management skills to effectively manage any disagreement that might arise or to bring the disagreement to management for assistance in productive resolution when the situation requires.
- Leadership experience in higher education public relations, marketing, fund-raising, or related areas.
- Experience in a Hispanic Serving Institution or a Minority Serving Institution.
- Bi-lingual English/Spanish
Salary and Benefits:
The expected salary is $114,000 - $120,000, commensurate with education and experience. Adams State University offers a competitive benefits program.
In compliance with the Immigration Control Act of 1968 candidates for positions must provide proof of eligibility to work before an offer of employment can be made final.
Adams State University performs background checks as a condition of employment for prospective employees and current employees seeking certain promotional opportunities. Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of an acceptable background check. Applicants will be asked to provide personal data and sign a release form before the background check is conducted. Applicants who fail to provide the data and consent form will not be considered for employment or promotion. Background checks include review of criminal records and sex offender registry background. Credit and driving record background may apply to certain positions.
Adams State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Applications are sought from all qualified persons regardless of race, color, sex, disability, and, as covered by law, veteran status. In addition, University policies prohibit discrimination on the basis of religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation including transgender status and gender expression, marital status, and parental status.
Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 and Part 106 of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex, including in admission and employment. Inquiries about the application of Title IX and CFR 106 to Adams State University (ASU) may be directed to ASU’s Office of Equal Opportunity, Director Ana Guevara, and/or to the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights of the Department of Education. Support resources for sexual misconduct, ASU’s sexual misconduct policies, contact information for the Adams State University’s Office of Equal Opportunity & Title IX, as well as a detailed procedure for filing a grievance due to discrimination on the basis of sex may be found online at https://www.adams.edu/administration/oeo/reporting-sexual-harassment/. These procedures also describe the University’s response to reports and/or complaints of sex discrimination or sexual harassment.
Adams State University is dedicated to fostering Inclusive Excellence and especially encourages applications from women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and other historically underrepresented populations. Given the university’s mission and student body composition, the institution is committed to increasing the diversity of its professional staff and is actively seeking qualified applicants who have experiences, skills, and/or personal attributes that augment the perspectives of our current faculty and staff; we will give particular consideration to qualified applicants with experience in ethnically diverse settings or who possess varied language skills and have a record of successful experience in engaging diverse communities and student populations. Additional information about the university and the academic mission may be found at www.adams.edu/academics/.
About Adams State University – Alamosa, Colorado
Adams State University is a state-supported regional comprehensive university in Alamosa, Colorado, United States. Adams State is Colorado’s premier Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and is also a Minority Serving Institution (MSI) with over 54% of our students representing diverse backgrounds. We have a high percentage of first-generation students with an equally high percentage of students who are Pell eligible. The university offers undergraduate programs in the physical and natural sciences, social sciences, kinesiology, fine arts, business and nursing, and specializes in educator curricula in several disciplines. Adams State also offers graduate degrees in history, art, business (MBA), and educator programs, including counselor education; the university also has a doctoral (PhD) program in counselor education. The university has an active athletic program, both in participatory sports and in athletics educator training. The Adams State Grizzly athletic teams compete under the auspices of the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference.
Adams State is located in the beautiful San Luis Valley between the Sangre de Cristo and San Juan mountain ranges. The vast San Luis Valley is designated the Sangre de Cristo National Heritage Area. We are, at 7,500 feet in elevation, in the largest alpine valley in the United States. Alamosa is located approximately 3.5 hours from Denver, 1.5 hours from Taos, New Mexico, and 2.5 hours from Santa Fe, New Mexico. Alamosa has a population of 9,500, with recently built elementary schools, a moderate cost of living, and affordable housing. Adams State University takes a leading role in local theatre performances and musical events and is in an area where the opportunities for outdoor recreation abound.
Completed applications must include the following:
- Letter of application, describing interest in this position, specifically addressing your qualifications to work effectively in a Hispanic Serving Institution located in a rural region where diversity, inclusion, and equity are key values.
- Current resume/vitae.
- Names and contact information (addresses, telephone numbers, e-mail addresses) of three (3) professional references who can address your qualifications for this position.
- Unofficial transcripts from all institutions of higher education attended, official transcripts required upon hiring.
Send applications to:
Dr. Peg L. Blake, Interim Exec. Dir., Public Relations & Marketing
Adams State University
Richardson Hall Room 1-505
208 Edgemont Ave
Alamosa, CO 81101
Telephone: [Register to View]
Review of completed applications will begin October 11th and will continue until the position is filled.