Every great life-changing discovery begins the same way—with new knowledge. It can change everything, from a single life to the future of entire communities. That’s why academic medicine, and the continuous pursuit of knowledge, is at the center of everything we do at the Medical College of Wisconsin.
In the role of Communications Consultant working in our Cancer Center, Milwaukee, WI.
Under the direction of the Cancer Center, Director of Communications, this position leads the creation and execution of integrated content and channel strategies in support of MCW Cancer Center goals and priorities. The Cancer Center Communications Consultant manages an editorial calendar and writes, edits and produces a variety of internal and external communications on behalf of the Cancer Center, in collaboration with the MCW Office of Communications. This role will partner closely with the Director of Communications in the development of a robust content and channel strategy for distributing Cancer Center news and information with a focus on storytelling the advancement of cancer research and innovation at MCW, elevating the center’s clinical trials and amplifying noteworthy medical publications featuring Cancer Center physicians, faculty, scientists and researchers. The Communications Consultant will also be a key partner to teams leading cancer related community outreach and engagement efforts to promote health equity and education within Wisconsin and beyond.
- Identify and develop stories that promote the mission, vision, culture and priorities of the MCW Cancer Center, in collaboration with Cancer Center partners, the Director of Communications and the MCW Office of Communications.
- Write, edit and produce content that supports the Cancer Center’s overarching communication strategy including email newsletters, articles for intranet and magazine publications, talking points, event briefings, video outlines, website and social media content.
- Manage integrated editorial calendar with consideration for a diversity of audiences, maintain distribution lists, lead publishing process for Cancer Center newsletters, leader emails, website updates and other digital communications.
- Partner closely with the Director of Communications in the development of a robust content and channel strategy for distributing Cancer Center news and information and in collaboration with the Office of Communications including channel leads.
- Develop integrated communication plans that include audience-tailored message strategies for Cancer Center related priorities (as assigned). Partner with the Office of Communications to determine channel and messaging mix.
- Enhance the communications capabilities of Cancer Center leaders and teams through communication counsel, resources and support.
- Work independently to identify and gather information; write and edit for engagement; ensure that messaging supports the institution's core values and advances strategic objectives
- Ensure that assigned projects and deliverables are high-quality, completed on time and reflect the input of identified reviewers.
- Effectively collaborate with members of the Cancer Center communications team, MCW communications team, Froedtert Marketing & Communications and other affiliates; regularly attend meetings with key partners as assigned to provide strategic input, creative ideation, communications guidance and support.
1. Attend early morning and evening meetings as needed.
2. Edit and proofread copy for internal, external and executive communications
3. Distribute communications on behalf of Cancer Center leaders as requested.
4. Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in communications, journalism, public relations, marketing or related field.
At least 6 years of progressive experience in corporate, integrated communications, public relations, agency, marketing or related communication field.
Healthcare experience. Demonstrated experience with strategic communications planning and program management.
- Outstanding Healthcare Coverage, including but not limited to Health, Vison, and Dental. Along with Flexible Spending options
- 403B Retirement Package
- Competitive Vacation and Paid Holidays offered
- Tuition Reimbursement
- On campus Fitness Facility, offering onsite classes.
- Additional discounted rates on things as: Select cell phone plans, local fitness facilities, Milwaukee recreation and entertainment etc.
For a full list of positions see: www.mcw.edu/careers
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.