Salem State's mission is to provide a high quality, student-centered education that prepares a diverse community of learners to contribute responsibly and creatively to a global society, and serve as a resource to advance the region's cultural, social and economic development.
Salem State University will be a premier teaching university that engages students in an inspiring transformational educational experience.
- We put students first in all that we do and are committed to their success.
- We are a community of learners where all faculty, staff and students have the opportunity to grow as individuals.
- We are innovators, offering a unique brand of public higher education that inspires students to reach higher and achieve more.
- We remain true to our heritage as a liberal arts university while we prepare students for today’s workforce.
- We serve the communities of the North Shore while we create an ever more globally aware and culturally diverse campus environment.
At Salem State University, two fundamental commitments unite and motivate us in daily pursuit of our mission:
- Academic excellence: Salem State cultivates an intellectually vibrant community led by a faculty dedicated to excellent teaching and enriched by students eager to learn and meet high standards of excellence.
- Student success: The university puts students first in all that we do and are committed to fostering success in their studies, careers and life.
We hold the following core values as a public university whose foundation is the liberal arts tradition:
- Civic Engagement